The statistical system of Nagorno Karabakh is completely centralized and financed from the state budget. The main mission of the Statistical Office of NKR is to compile and publish statistics for government and public use. The Nagorno Karabakh Statistical System is comprised of the Central Statistical Office and 8 Regional Departments of Statistics. Name: National Statistical Service of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.
The Supreme Body of Governance: State Council on Statistics.
Head: President of National Statistical Service of NKR, who at the same time holds the post of the Chairman of the State Council on Statistics. The Head and 4 members of the Council are appointed for six-year terms by the NKR President's decree.
Position Within the Framework of Public Administration
Administrative position: National Statistical Service of NKR as a body implementing functions aimed at the public interest is independent from state and local self-government bodies in its statistical activities. It is responsible for providing statistical information to the users within the framework of the statistical work program. Three-year statistical work program is approved by the Parliament of NKR, while annual program - by the State Council on Statistics and financed from the state budget. The Supreme Body of Governance of the National Statistical Service of NKR is the State Council on Statistics consisting of 5 members and is authorized to accept normative acts with legal character in the field of statistics.
The official statistics of Nagorno-Karabakh is formed on May 15, 1924. The first statistical body was called NKAO Central Statistical Bureau (CSB).
On July 14, 1930, NKAO CSB is renamed NKAO Economic Statistical Department attached to District-plan. In 1932 NKAO Economic Statistical Department attached to District-plan is re-formed to NKAO District People and Economic Record Administration.
In 1941 NKAO District People and Economic Record Administration is re-formed to NKAO District Statistical Administration.
In 1987 NKAO District Statistical Administration is re-formed to NKAR Statistical Administration.
After declaration of the independence of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, on September 2, 1991, NKAO Statistical Administration is re-formed to NKR State Administration of Statistics, since January 1, 1992.
In 1995 NKR State Administration of Statistics is re-fomed to NKR State Administration of Statistics, State Register and Analyses.
By the institutional moment, the Nagorno-Karabakh history has a significant change when NKR State Administration of Statistics, State Register and Analyses is re-formed to NKR National Statistical Service, according to the new law of NKR "Law on state statistics" which comes into force since June 3, 2002.
- to collect, process, summarize, analyze and publish statistical data,
- to co-operate with state and local self-government bodies in the collection of statistical information,
- to develop methodologies for statistical work,
- to co-ordinate the information and data collection according to the unified classification and coding system based on international standards,
- to organize statistical surveys,
- to carry out Population census every 10 years,
- to establish maintain and update the Business Register,
- to provide users with statistical information,
- to ensure the transparency and accessibility of summary statistical information,
- to co-operate with international organizations and national statistical services.